Our Top 10 List of Events And Things to Do In Houston
After visiting many sites and having been around the block a few times I have come up with a Top 10 List of things to do in Houston. Most of these are on local websites listing events in Houston and surrounding areas. Some are offered on StubDog at half price and others are free or tickets can be found at the box office of the show. So here goes...
Top 10 List of things to do in Houston:
10. Go have a hamburger at the Outpost Tavern in Clear Lake Texas. It is a fantastic place that is filled with memorabilia from NASA. They have shot many films there including Clint Eastwood's film Space Cowboys which they still have a glass behind the bar that says "Clint's".
9. Take in a Show at the Ensemble Theatre located on Main Street close to downtown. The Ensemble has been putting up fantastic work for many years and continues to be a bright spot in the theatre Community of Houston. This year they kick off the season with one of my favorite playwrights, August Wilson's Radio Golf. If you have a chance to see a show here you should.
8. Take a guided tour with Discover Houston Tours. They have several walking tours that go from downtown Houston, through the downtown tunnels, looking for ghosts etc. Sandra Lord who gives these tours is a fantastic lady and knows a lot about Houston.
7-6. Take in a bit of comedy at one of several comedy clubs in Houston. Two of my favorites are the Laff Spot out by Willowbrook mall. Sort of an institution at the moment as it seems to have been there forever (and I sort of have a special place in my heart for it as it was the first Comedy Club I went to with my friends). The other is the Comedy Store in South Houston. A bit smaller but they still have fantastic comics come through there on a regular basis.
5. Go have a drink in Magic Island. Another Houston institution that has been around for-EVER, and seems to have more lives than a cat. The place is huge and very ornate on the inside, which is a surprise after seeing it during he day. Still doing magic like they have been for a long time. Worth the time to stop by for a drink and nice rabbit out of the hat. This place is actually a lot of fun if you go with a group.
4. You have to see a game at Minute Maid. I am a huge Astros Fan and this park is brilliant, not a bad seat in the place. If you can plan it, you should try and go on a night that the roof is open as you have a fantastic view of downtown. Top-notch place and the prices are not as bad as I thought they would be.
3. Put yourself in a meat coma at the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo's Bar B Q Cook-off, which is held right before the Rodeo kickoff. I have been to this for almost 20 years straight, and while it has gotten ridiculously huge and harder and harder to get into a tent, it's still great. Just about every type of meat you could want and most of it is absolutely mouthwatering.
2. Get tickets to the Texas Renaissance Festival held every year in October. There is nothing better than a "winch" yelling at you and making fun of your friends. Guys walking around with goats, others eating mud. Turkey legs and cold beers. Always worth grabbing a ticket to this show which is located in Magnolia.
1. The Absolute best thing for you to do in Houston is to drive to College Station for a Texas Aggie home Football game. If you have never been to a game at Kyle Field... you should. With almost 100,000 fans screaming chants at the same time and the aggie marching band kicking off the halftime festivities "from the north end of Kyle Field" it really makes for a great experience.
If you do make the trip to College Station, you have to remember to stop by the Dixie Chicken. Ask anyone in town and they can tell you where it is. You wont regret it.